So you want to start a blog…. but you aren’t sure exactly where to start. When we first decided to start a blog a few years ago for our direct sales business we were completely clueless. We researched all the options, took a few courses about blogging and how to get started (which were NOT cheap!) and soon realized that it wasn’t as difficult to get started as we had thought. We found a few services and companies that had the features we wanted, a user friendly interface and fit into our budget and we’ve stuck with most of them for a few years now. If you’re wanting to start blogging, my best advice is to just jump in and get started. We kept putting ours off because we felt like we didn’t know enough or weren’t prepared enough – in reality we just need to get started and everything else started to fall into place.
Our current setup is a self-hosted WordPress blog hosted by Bluehost and today I’m going to share how to start a blog in under 10 minutes using the same setup.
First you’ll want to choose a platform for your blog. There are many different platforms out there – WordPress, Blogger and Tumblr are just a few of the more popular ones. For this tutorial we are going to walk you through setting up a self-hosted WordPress blog. A self-hosted site does have a small cost involved but it allows you to have much more control over your blog and will be easier to manage down the road.
- Choose a Website Host – Since you are creating a self-hosted blog, you will need to choose a hosting company. For our direct sales blog and Our Little Slice of Heaven we use Bluehost. They offer fantastic customer service, a 1-Click WordPress Install and their prices are great. Hop on over to Bluehost and click on the Get Started Now link.
- Choose a Package – Bluehost offers a few different packages for their webhosting. Since you are just starting out, the basic package should work just fine. You can add any additional services or features in a few minutes.
- Pick a Domain Name– This is my favorite part about setting up a blog! Choosing a domain name is such an important and exciting part of starting your blog. Remember to keep your domain name simple, easy to remember and consistent with what your blog will encompass.
With a Bluehost hosting account, you get a free domain name
and you can check the availability of your choice using this handy tool!
- Create Your Account – Here’s the spot where you will create your account with Bluehost. Fill in all the required information. You can also choose any extras now (like domain privacy protection, site back up). Once you have registered and made a payment, you’ll be taken to the control panel.
- Install WordPress – Now you are ready to install WordPress on your new website. Bluehost makes it super easy to do with their 1 click install. Scroll down in the control panel and click on the Install WordPress Icon.
You’ll come to a screen that gives you options to pay to have WordPress installed for you – or you can choose to install it yourself, which is what we are going to do! Next you’ll be asked which domain you are installing WordPress to and you should see your new domain name in the drop down box.
At the next screen you will want to be sure to click on the Show Advanced Options box so you can edit your Site Name (this can be changed later if needed), and set up your username and password for logging into your new site. Be sure the box for Automatically Create a New Database for this Installation is checked and you agree to the terms and conditions.
Way to go! You have installed WordPress on a brand new domain name! Now you can visit the login page for your website to get started. Be sure to check your email where you’ll find your log in information for your new blog!
Bluehost support is only a phone call or chat box away too, so if you have any questions or any trouble with setting up your blog be sure to reach out to them!
Be sure to share your new blog information in the comments below!
This page includes affiliate links. This means that if you follow some of the links on this page and make a purchase, we earn a small commission. We only recommend products and services that we personally use and think our readers would love and greatly appreciate the support! Read more on our disclosures page.